ISTD Assessment awards 2014

Four of our Graphic Design students have recently gained membership to the prestigious International Society of Typographic Designers (ISTD). The annual student award scheme asks designers to respond to one of five set briefs, the aim of which is to generate a body of work that shows evidence of typographic skills and how to use them in an exuberant and exciting manner.

The work is sent to London to be assessed. Each portfolio, containing the finished piece, drafts, sample pages, mock-ups, strategies and print specifications, is marked according to a strict set of criteria. They are judged on development, presentation, style, analysis and the final solution by a panel consisting of members from both education and industry.

harry

Congratulations must go out to Zach Sheppard, who received a commendation for his Manifesto project, and to Sam Carr-Hyde, Harry Galuszka and Jack Brown, who all achieved pass grades.

Zach said of his work, “‘A manifesto for an art school’ was a really exciting brief as it allowed me to express my own thoughts on how an art school should practice and also explore ways in which to engage with fellow students. I am very pleased with the outcome and feel so privileged to have gained a commendation. I would like to thank the tutoring staff for their help throughout not only this project but all my years at Lincoln.”

zach

The ceremony is set to take place in London during the summer.